Meet Steve Bailey
Who I am.
I am a Christian husband and father who believes in family, honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way I want to be treated and helping those in need. Consequently, I wake up every morning excited to go to work because I get to live my values through serving others.
What I do.
I did not choose elder law as a career path, it chose me. For many years I practiced first as a CPA and then as a tax attorney who helped rich people avoid taxes. I only discovered my passion for elder law after my mother’s untimely death when I took care of my loveable and hopelessly demented dad for about three years. I quickly found that information and resources for caretakers are scarce, often conflicting, and sometimes just plain wrong. So I decided then, that my life going forward would be devoted to helping families navigate eldercare issues, maintain family harmony, and obtain the care and attention elders need and deserve without going broke.
Why I Do It.
I do more than talk the talk, I have walked the walk. I moved back to Alabama after spending most of my adult life in California to care for aging parents. After my mother’s untimely death, I assumed sole responsibility for my loveable but fully demented dad. I have experienced the responsibility and fear of caretakers and have navigated the bewildering landscape of obtaining affordable long-term care for parents. So, I try to help others through the confusing maze that I have already been through personally.
How I Do It Differently.
Unlike typical elder law firms that focus only on obtaining Medicaid or VA benefits, I follow the principles of an elder-centered law practice focused on Life Care Planning. Life Care Planning involves discovering the elder’s place on the elder care continuum and then figuring out what we need to do to identify, access, and pay for good care for the individual, both now and in the future. To put it another way, we help older people manage their chronic illnesses. Seniors need to get good care when and where they need it, and they need to know how to pay for it.
What we do that specifically sets us apart is:
- Care Always Comes First – Every client is served by an elder law attorney and geriatric care manager because the quality of care our loved one receives is dependent on someone standing up for their legal rights and a healthcare advocate helping them understand their care options.
- Long Term Care advocacy – Our office is committed to advocating for the best possible long-term care of both the elderly and those with disabilities. We educate our clients and their caregivers as to how to advocate for the care of their loved one whether at home, in adult medical day care, assisted living, or a nursing home. We attend our client’s caregiver meetings in a nursing home when needed, as well as assist caregivers in choosing the best possible care setting for their loved one. We also assist to ensure that our client’s health insurance coverage is maximized for physical therapy and other care needs.
- Access to Every Asset Protection Strategy – Many elder law firms offer just a few asset protection solutions. We are familiar with every asset preservation strategy and will help you find one that meets your needs.
- You Stay in Control – We serve as expert advisors who empower you with guidance, support, and information so you can make decisions with confidence about your loved one’s care throughout the long-term care journey.
- Unmatched Expertise – With more than 50 years of combined legal, tax, social work, geriatric case management, and insurance experience, our firm has what it takes to handle your loved one’s situation, no matter how complicated it may be.
- Access to Every Service – We are well-networked in the senior services community, which makes it easier for you to connect with the resources and services you will need to take care of your loved one.
- Ongoing Care Coordination – Instead of referring you to outside providers and leaving you to research, choose, and monitor care yourself, your Elder Care Coordinator serves as a coach, advisor, and subject matter expert who helps you respond with confidence to challenges during the long-term care journey — the total care solution.
- The Elder Care Continuum – Our conceptual model makes it easy to understand your options in response to the natural progression of aging and its impact on a loved one’s health, mobility, housing, and financial resources.
If you or a loved one needs help preparing for their future, work with an elder law attorney who will provide compassionate and honest care. You don’t have to go through this process alone. Contact our team today to get started.